My 25th high school reunion is finally here! I am looking forward to seeing all of my old classmates and the weekend promises to be a happy one. There are so many activities planned and they will be full of friendship, warmth, and energy!
Tonight, we have the last high school football game with after game activities at a local grill, tomorrow afternoon a pig roast at a local park, tomorrow evening the main event at a local country club with all of the trimmings - food, live music (they even have the same band we used to have in HS), activities, photos, the energy will be incredible. The most amazing thing is that really, nobody ever looks much different. It's a pretty timeless event. Sure, there may be a bit less hair on top for the men, and the girls may be a bit more fluffy (I'm way fluffy, but working on it w/the help of weight watcher's), but I don't really see my old classmates with my eyes...I don't think any of us care what someone is wearing or not, has or doesn't, but mostly we care that they are happy. Our class includes folks from all walks of life and at some time or another, our paths have crossed. It's true we don't always keep in touch and we aren't all 'friends' that hang around each other though some folks do, but everyone is truly welcome.
People are shocked when I describe the plans for the reunion weekend and then continue to explain we usually have large events. Many folks haven't even attended a single one of their own class reunions, or just one or two. I wouldn't miss one of our reunions, and it will be a bit easier to keep in touch as we have our own class web site now.
The quilt is the first of many that I plan to make for our reunions. It's far from perfect, but I really didn't want it to be perfect. It's not meant to be perfect, though it is pretty darned good!The author of the pattern named it 'Motion'. This to me represents the epitome of who we are, we are moving throughout our lives and then every once in a while we reconnect and then move on.
I hope to update my little blog more on the activities later this weekend...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I am one of those people that have not even attended one class reunion and have no desire to--I sort of envy you that feeling of closeness you have with your classmates. How wonderful that would be to feel part of something like that.
You must be a really special bunch of people to be so close! It seems foreign to me.
e :)
Post a Comment