Monday, December 31, 2007

Reflecting on 2007 and welcoming in 2008

Happy New Year! I hope you have a very happy, healthy, and fulfilling year!

Life has a way of handing us opportunities to reflect on the path we've walked. For me the last week of December seems a natural time for visiting the past. As I find myself entering 2008, of course I'm thinking about time, again. Maybe it's all the stuff that wasn't accomplished this year that I felt should have been or maybe it's all the stuff that was accomplished. Maybe it's reflecting on the opportunities for fun I've missed or the opportunities I've taken. It can be seeing someone else making a choice that makes you think about something. For instance, last Friday evening was a gathering with class mates. We went out for light dinner and then dancing. When I arrived for drinks, one of my buddies offered his chair and mentioned it was near the food. I politely thanked him and declined...actually, all I drank there was water with lemon. Later, I'm certain he doesn't even realize I noticed what he did, but he demonstrated what we all need to do. He picked up a nacho, took a moment as he looked at it, and thought about it before he ate it. Wow! In the short time he demonstrated that little action, he showed that he was thinking about what he was putting into his mouth and body, he took his time, didn't deny himself, and he had only one. I don't think he reads my little blog, but if he does, he reiterated home another little lesson for life, to stop and think about what you feed yourself and moderation!

I chose losing weight as my main goal last year which probably is the goal most selected by people in the U.S. But, for me, it was a first in over 20 years. To know me, you would know I am a very obese person. So in January 2007 when I joined Weight Watcher's at Work, I had realistic goals that I really didn't think I would stick to. Some of my coworkers are my strongest supportive health friends and yes, believing that ice cream should be a daily staple, I contemplated this opportunity. I sent an e-mail off to some of my closest co-workers and friends -- lets face it, they really are the people we spend the most chunks of time with. I had asked them that if I decided to participate in WW and decided to have a bit of ice cream with lunch would they give me the 'hairy eyeball' or trust that I figured it into my points. The best message I could have received came to me from my friend Dirrindia -- her response was, "you only have to answer to yourself, don't worry about what anyone else thinks". This brought the realization that learning to eat healthy isn't a diet that you do for a while and then forget, but it is a life style change. I'll repeat, it is a life style change. As my weigh-ins typically take place on Mondays, it was this Monday that I finally moved into another set of numbers and reached 30.1 pounds! To me that doesn't seem like much for 12 months of healthy eating (okay 99% of the time), but with thyroid issues, my physician assures me that losing any weight will be a job well done, three times as slow, and highly recommended WW. So, here I am 2008, and I'm 30 pounds lighter and 1-1/4 of them this week after Christmas! Realistically, I have so much more to lose! But, I will continue on with my healthy eating habits, stretching, bike riding, and occasional Yoga classes. I also learned that I am not an 'emotional' eater, but more or less just made the wrong choices and have learned more about moderation.

I had told my friends that I would never be inclined to post a picture of myself on my blog because I can't stand the way I look in pictures (never could -- teeth, weight, curl of my lip). Well, I decided that maybe I would change this opinion I've carried for at least 35 years...partly because someone sent me a half-decent and very recent picture that I was in (minus a blemish or two) and partly because I have been placing some focus on taking care of myself, not just with diet and the exercise, but with enjoying activities that I have put off for too long. I did start tubing again the last several years and although the Rogue River is a far cry from rafting down the rapids of the Upper Gulley, Lower Gulley, Cheat, or the New rivers in West Virginia, I will appreciate what the Rogue has to offer. I would love to learn how to Kayak...maybe this year yet if I can find someone to teach me.
As I mentioned activities from last Friday evening, the ride into town was treacherous with a winter storm warning (my knuckle's were white) and the ride home was mild. I didn't dance as much as I would have liked or did last time. There were so many people just standing around on the dance floor and the place was probably a bit over-crowded...okay, it was my hips and elbows, I don't know how many people I bumped into. I'm sending a big thank you to Tami, Wendy, Lisa & Chris, Andy, Becky, and Al, whether you happen to read this or not! Again another fun memory was made!

Saturday was our 12th wedding anniversary. We spent the evening home with a quiet dinner. Happy Anniversary Phil!

Sunday it was during errands and chores that I realized I kept thinking I was 42 (no I'm really 43)! I think I did that when I turned 40 too, I kept thinking I was 41. Ah well, I never claimed to enjoy numbers. So, here I am -- me, my computer, a few of my cats, pondering what the next 12 months will bring. Whatever it is, I hope it includes more weight loss, tubing, dancing, fun, laughter, and just some simple joys.

Another sign I'm receiving, big, strong, and in my face is little Jazmine trying to get my attention. Figure I've pondered enough for now, so, off I go. I mean, how could anyone deny that little face?

Have a blessed New Year!


2 comments:

Rose said...

I read this the other day--I do check your blog daily. Just so you know. But I think it so funny that you forget how old you are--I do that too! (I am 52!) I will actually have to stop and do the math sometimes...

Way to go on the WW's! I need to start doing something...I really don't want to do any specific diet but I do need to get up some will power to start exercising and also watching what I eat...

kcdi said...

#1 - You are absolutely beautiful and I'd love to see more pics of you.
#2 - Congratulations on your weight loss. I have lost and gained all back. Perhaps you will inspire me to get back in gear to a healthier life.
#3 - Way to go on sharing more of yourself with us. We will all be better for it.
Happy New Year!